Wednesday, December 16, 2015

REHAB


Going to a Rehabilitation Facility was a huge eye- opener for me.

Mine was called B.I.R.U. The letters stood for Brain Injury Rehabilitation Unit.

I was forced to mix with a variety of people from different walks of life.- Drug addicts,people with anger management issues,religious weirdos etc.

For a sheltered, middle class, white person this was quite an education.

I found myself providing marriage counseling one day and having deep,religious discussions the next! It certainly taught me not to judge anyone. We became like a little family.We were very supportive and protective of one another.

I would never have encountered these people in my ' old' life.

Weekends were lonely. No rehab!

Those who were "well' enough had a leave pass to go home for the weekend. Those who could 'walk' had 'armbands' that would beep if they escaped from the facility. The doors would automatically lock until the escapee was found.

It was like being in a prison!

People who were nearly better were housed in rooms closer to the main doors. If we were moved nearer to these doors we would get all excited!

I was close to the nurses station. I had just had a Tracheostomy removed and hadn't adjusted to life without one.

I wheeled around the premises clutching a box of tissues. I was still constantly coughing up phlegm (a nice image!)

How intense your rehab is definitely determines how quickly you can adjust to 'normal' life. Rehab needs to be 'patient based'.

What the experts deem as useful,may not be what you see as useful. I would have liked to be able to put on makeup not do 20 sit ups!

Take care,
Amanda
#strokesurvivordownunder

No comments:

Post a Comment